Who we are
In November 2020, we introduced a groundbreaking financial super app in Côte d'Ivoire, offering a comprehensive suite of services encompassing online and offline payments, peer-to-peer transactions, fund transfers, as well as savings and budgeting tools.
As of today, we have empowered thousands of users to seamlessly perform these financial activities, and our rapid growth continues unabated. Our overarching objective is to forge the next generation of digital financial solutions in Francophone Africa, a region where fewer than 25% of the population currently has access to traditional banking services.
The financial landscape of this region is undergoing a profound transformation, with millions of individuals shifting from basic financial transactions (mobile money) to more sophisticated financial management. Djamo is uniquely positioned to emerge as the premier choice for meeting these evolving financial needs.
We are proud to have garnered support from world-renowned investors, including Y Combinator, Partech, Kima, and Norskeen, which underscores our potential and commitment to reshaping the financial services landscape in Africa.
To support our growth, we are looking for a Head of Legal - WAEMU
At Djamo, the legal department supports the strategic development of our business and ensures the company is growing while being compliant with applicable regional laws and regulations, as well as mitigating the risks triggered by our business exposure.
As our Head of legal - WAEMU, you will lead the legal and compliance efforts across the region. You will also act as an advisor and lead our interactions with the regulators, the BCEAO, the AMF, and the ministries of finances, among others.
You will work closely with
- the Compliance and Risks teams to ensure we are compliant with the laws, regulations, and requirements set by the BCEAO,
- the Business Development team to help build strategic partnerships,
- the People team to ensure regulatory compliance and smooth management of the relationship with our employees
- finally, the Operations team to address any issues, comply with city regulations, and support the optimization of our distribution and agent network relations
- You will also take the lead with our interactions with our different regulators, the BCEAO, the AMF, and the ministries of finance.
Your responsibilities will include
- Being Djamo’s Legal advisor and working collaboratively with the other leads in achieving the business plan and objectives
- Managing the relationship with law firms in the region and our holdCo (US)
- Manage the Legal teams.s across the region
- Provide legal counsel on all legal documents (internal and external), processes, and guidelines in regard to the BCEAO and local regulations
- Draft and review business propositions, and partnership contracts with telcos, processors, schemes, banks, and business partners (merchants, digital payment users, bill-payment companies, etc.)
- Lead the team that will perform the administrative processes for the company and get authorizations or do declarations to authorities where needed
- Draft and review all other legal documentation while ensuring archiving (electronic and physical)
- Manage the execution of the partnership contracts
- Amend and review existing contracts where needed
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in Law or equivalent
- At least 7 years of proven experience as a legal counsel with fintech, banks, telcos, or renowned legal consulting firms
- Experience in representing a company in their interactions with external counsels
- Excessively detail-oriented and seeking to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Very strong communication and stakeholder management skills
- You are a clear and proactive communicator, you are able to independently follow through on tasks and can manage priorities effectively
- You like teamwork, but you also know how to work well independently
- You are an excellent negotiator and mediator, especially in challenging situations
- You demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the extra mile to get something done
- You are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination
- You are analytical in your approach to problems
- You are able to adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions
The advantages of working at Djamo
- A stimulating working atmosphere
- A warm yet determined team
- The value of participating in the evolution of a startup that aims to deploy quickly throughout French-speaking Africa.
- A collaborative work environment, with strong team spirit
- A culture focused on continuous employee development
We will consider all applications on the same basis. Djamo is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Type of contract
Permanent contract, with a 3-month renewable trial period.
The location is primarily in Abidjan.
Open to remote workers from a country within 3 hours of GMT timezone
You must anticipate some travels across the region, and to prospective OpCos
Sector of activity
Mobile Financial Services